Resources for the Chemically Injured - Top
Free MIDI Hymns
Many chemically sensitive people must avoid going into stores due to the poor indoor air quality. The air quality is adversely affected by such things as products (paints, pesticides, laundry detergents, etc.), cleaning agents (artificial fragrances, strong 'industrial' strength chemicals, etc.), biocides (pesticides, herbicides, sanitizers, etc.) and room deodorizers (actually pesticides and petroleum components). Therefore, catalogs (and the WWW) are a preferred way to shop. A well thought of chemically sensitive person has been known to say 'Oh, I can go into a store ok, I just can't get back out.' Things like loosing motor control and going brain dead could tend to slow down an exit!
- AdaptAbility is a catalog which contains Products for Quality Living. It has items to make life easier for various handicaps, not much for chemical sensitivity particularly, although there are cotton socks, wool shawls, some air cleaners, etc.. Click AdaptAbility to check out their web site.
P.O. Box 515
Colchester, CT 06415-0515
Phone 1(800)288-9941 and Fax 1(800)566-6678
email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- All Electronics Corp. is a great little electronics catalog for times when you are building your cabinets for your copy machine or fax machine and need to order fans, wire, switches, etc. Click All Electronics to go directly to their web site or you can email them at email@example.com.
All Electronics Corp.
905 S. Vermont Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90006
They also have a store in Van Nuys, Ca. (818)997-1806.
- American Environmental Health Foundation - a non-profit organization that sells various products for the chemically sensitive person. There are also educational materials at this site. You can check out their site at http://www.aehf.com.
- Books on Tape is a large catalog of audio books which are either rented or sold to you. The catalog is over 300 pages long. Phone 1(800)626-3333 or Fax 1(714)548-6574.
Books on Tape
P.O. Box 7900
Newport Beach, CA 92658
- CFIDS Health Buyers Club is a nutrition and wellness catalog for those with Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfuction Syndrome (CFIDS), and other chronic immune disorders. They carry books, supplements, lights, soap, lotion, Bio-Kleen products, etc.
Health Buyers Club
1187 Coast Village Road, Suite 1
Santa Barbara, CA 93108-2794
- Conney is a safety catalog, over 300 pages, which contains 3M masks, half face or full face masks as well as complete hazad response suits and kits! They carry hydrogen peroxide, band aids, back support belts, cotton gloves, brooms, first aid kits, medicines, oxygen tanks, and much, much more. Click Conney to go directly to their site.
Conney Safety Products
3202 Latham Drive
P.O. Box 44190
Madison, Wisconsin 53744-4190
Order 1(800)356-9100 and Fax 1(800)845-9095
- Country Curtains contains just that. Some are all cotton (not organic though). Curtain rods, etc. They say that customers outside of the US can call 1(413)243-1300 for shipping information.
at the Lion Inn, Stockbridge, Massachusetts 01262
Phone 1(800)456-0321 and Fax 1(413)243-1067
TDD (Hearing Impaired) 1(800)456-6353
- Cuddledown of Maine, contains some natural bedding, including cottons, bed frames, etc. Go directly to their home page by clicking Cuddledown. 1(800)323-6793 24 hours a day. Fax is 1(207)761-1948. e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Duncraft is a catalog for those of us who are now watching and feeding wild birds and critters. The catalog contains many varieties of bird and critter food and houses.
Penacook, NH 03303-9020
- Gander Mountain is a suppler of outdoor products for the outdoor enthusiast. Large catalog of Tents, clothes, knives, boots, cots, gun parts, duck calls, etc. Call 1(800)558-9410 if interested in getting a catalog.
- Gardens Alive! says it is America's Number-One Source for Organic Garden Products. Organic plant foods, beneficial insects, insect traps, bird houses, etc.
Gardens Alive (retail store address)
776 Rudolph Way
Lawrenceburg, IN 47025
Phone 1(812)537-8650 and Fax (812)537-5108
- The Janice Corporation
198 US Highway46
Budd Lake, NJ 07828
Janices is a department store in a catalog of all natural products. From
cotton mattresses to soap, Janice provides household products, clothing and
personal items especially appropriate for persons with chemical
sensitivities. When products are not available on the open market, Janice
manufactures them in "Janice"s Sewing Room." Prices are low and quality is
- Marketplace Handwork of India. It carries women's cothing, some organic, mostly cotton. Nice hand embroidered cottons from India.
1455 Ashland Avenue
Evanston, Il 60201
- Mountain House Calls says it is Bringing Health Care Home. It carries items such as wrist supports, ankle supports, travel wheelchair, some supplements, insoles for shoes, dumbbell weights (light), blood pressure monitors, etc.
Mountain House Calls
P.O. Box 331148
Fort Worth, Texas 76163-1148
Phone 1(800)460-7282, M-F 8-5 Central Time
- N.E.E.D.S. National Ecological and Environmental Delivery System. The cover states: The Money Saving Home Shopping Service. Helping to improve the quality of life for the allergic, asthmatic, ecological and health conscious person. The Pharmacy Division will generate prescription Receipts for your Medical Tax Deductions or Insurance Reimbursement Claims. This catalog is over 100 pages and contains just about everything that a chemically sensitive person might need and they are very reasonably priced.
6666 Manlius Center Rd
East Syracuse, NY 13057
- Nontoxic Environments, Inc. is printed in soy ink on recycled paper. Contains building, household, and personal products for the chemically sensitive and the earthwise. I called these folks when I needed a new roof and they were very helpful in finding the right radiant barrier foil to keep any outgassing of materials outside the house.
Nontoxic Environments, Inc.
P.O. Box 384
Newmarket, NH 03857
- Non Toxic Hot Line and Nirvana Safe Haven, (925)472-8868. Fax: (925)938-9019. Check out: http://www.nontoxic.com. If you need to survive in a toxic world call Daliya Robson and ask her for specifics on what you need in the way of air cleaners, water purifiers, organic cotton bedding and pure wool comforters and pads. The best quality organic cotton mattresses, pillows and futons are available at a fair price. Non toxic sealants, zeolite and even Ebac dehumidifiers. To get specifications on a product you need to indicate your interests.
- Real Goods, Earth Friendly Products for Creating a Sustainable Future. This catalog is printed on 50% recycled paper using soy ink. A catalog full of solar powered items, air cleaning products (including an active carbon scarf!), window filters, radiant barrier foil, books, non-toxic pest control, organic cotton clothes, wool pillows, EMF meter, water testing kits, etc. Click Real Goods to go directly to their web site.
555 Leslie Street
Ukiah, CA 95482-5507
Phone 1(800)762-7325 and Fax (1(707)468-9486
Foreign orders should call (707)468-9214
- Safer Alternatives , printed in soy ink, carries basic needs for the chemically sensitive person, such as organic clothes, unscented soaps, building products and other necessities. This catalog is specially good for someone new to what products are the right products for the chemically sensitive. Makes shopping simple. All personal care products are unscented.
P.O. Box 491663
Redding, CA 96049
- Seventh Generation, now called 'Harmony'
49 Hercules Drive
Colchester, VT 05446-1672
Organic cotton, green cotton, brown paper products, organic sheets, etc. Also offers unsuitable items.
- The Company Store is a catalog which carries pillows, mattress pads, towels, curtains, wool blanks, down comforters and more.
The Company Store
500 Company Store Road
La Crosse, Wisconsin 54601
- The Natural Choice
ECO Design Co.
1365 Rufina Circle
Santa Fe, NM 87505
Offers many items including organic cotton, organic herb seeds, wood treatments, etc.
- Walnut Acres is a catalog of organic foodstuffs, fresh produce, dry goods, and flours. They will ship UPS. Call 1(800)433-3998. Penns Creek, PA 17862 Visit them at http://walnutacres.com.
- The Woodworkers' Store is a catalog of hardware, wood, tools and know how. Call 1(800)279-4441 or Fax (612)478-8395. They have stores in many states. This is where we bought a piano hinge for the reading box.
- Williams-Sonoma is a catalog for cooks and the kitchen. Cotton towels, dishes, food items, canning jars (fancy), pans, etc.
P.O. Box 7456
San Francisco, CA 94120-7456
Phone 1(800)541-2233 or Fax (415)421-5153
- Wind and Weather is a catalog of weather instruments, weathervanes, sundials and garden ornaments. Call 1(800)922-9463 if you would like a catalog. They are based in California.
- Winter Silks carries silk clothing including underware.
2700 Laura Lane
P.O. Box 620130
Middleton, WI 53562
- Wissota Trader is a good shoe catalog. Phone 1(800)833-6421 or Fax 1(715)723-2169.
- Woodworkers Supply is a large workworking catalog. It has over 150 pages of tools, hardware, drill bits, adhesives (yellow glue is OK), sandpaper, respirators, wooden handles, moldings, etc.
1108 North Glenn Road
Casper, Wyoming 82601
Phone 1(800)645-9292 and Fax (several numbers, depending upon area)
- Yield House is a catalog of solid wood (some with glass) furniture kits which you can assemble. Very high quality. I would recommend AFM products (sold by several of the catalogs above) for the wood finishing. Also carries other household items such as glass canisters, 100% cotton rugs, lamps, etc.
Dept 2500, P.O. Box 2525
Conway, NH 03818-2525
Phone 1(800)258-4720 or Fax (603)447-1717
- If you have others which should be listed here, please email us at email@example.com
These listings have been gathered from various sources and are presented here with the intent to provide hard won information to anyone whom it may help. If you find that the names, phone numbers, addresses or such are out of date in any way, or you feel there is a significant change or addition which should be made to these resources, please be so kind as to Contact Us.
Disclaimer: We do not endorse people, products or services. We do not give medical advice. What works for one person does not necessarily work for another. Please check with health-care professionals of your own choice. I am not a doctor and I do not give medical advice. The author is a chemically injured person who is extremely chemically sensitive (reactive) and who has just had a lot of personal experience in trying to survive chemical insults and toxic exposures.
This page has been accessed times since 3/14/96.